Friday, October 9, 2009

The Karung guni man

This morning ,I met a tall skinny man collecting discarded tins and paper cartons to sell as a means of living. I happened to be quite near to his piles of what people would consider "rubbish" .
He looked up at me and a warm friendly smile radiated across to me like the morning sun. Then he started telling me about his work, his family and his small surviving business . In a short while, he started telling me some rather personal details of his life.

" I have a sister who is mentally-ill. I own a four-room apartment and my very old mother is still living with me. I have to get on with life."

Subsequently, he started explaining to me how he organised his daily collection of the various items . Those fifteen minutes were a lecture on time management and a particular philosophy of life. I was drinking " Ice Mountain" while listening to this unsolicited presentation. Believe me, it was power-pointed! The whole lesson was conducted in Hokkien. Then an "uncle " passed by. This simple practical philosopher then waved to him and said ," Uncle, good moleng , come , eat coffee ."

What he meant was :
Uncle , good morning . Come and drink coffee.

I smiled . He had spliced two languages together. I was conjecturing at that moment : This man could have been a very good lecturer on the use of precious time in an institute of learning had his command of English been better !

No comments:

Post a Comment